By the decision of the Board of the International Fund for Saving the Aral Sea dated from 29 of June 2021 on preparations for the 9th World Water Forum, on October 19-20, 2021, the Central Asian sub-regional preparatory conference for the 9th World Water Forum “Water Security for peace and development” was held in Hyatt Regency Hotel in Dushanbe. The conference was aimed at defining and discussing the main directions of regional processes and key topics that will be presented for dialogue in the process of the 9th Forum events, as well as at the formulation and coordination of the regional agenda for the 9th World Water Forum in accordance with its priority topics and the most important issues for the Central Asian region and strengthening regional cooperation and partnerships at all levels to assist in the implementation of the International Decade for Action “Water for Sustainable Development”, 2018-2028. Within the framework of the conference, 6 parallel thematic sessions were held
1. Ensure universal access to safe water and adequate sanitation to respond to new challenges, including COVID-19.
2. Transboundary water cooperation for sustainable development.
3. Effective water resources management for increasing agricultural production and providing employment opportunities in rural areas.
4. Water, Energy, Food and Environment Nexus.
5. Climate change adaption and water related disaster risk reduction.
6. Financing the water sector.
All thematic sessions of the Conference are considered in the context of achieving the Sustainable Development Goals. The Conference was attended by representatives of governments, water management organizations and other stakeholders of Central Asia, the World Water Council, the Secretariat of the 9th World Water Forum, international and regional organizations, international financial institutions, NGOs, civil society, scientists, experts and others.